My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I read Garden Spells by this author and really liked it. Then I read The Sugar Queen and thought it was awful. This book was more towards the positive side. Emily's mom has recently died, so she goes to move in with her grandfather in a small town in North Carolina. Everyone seems to know who she is before she even gets there, and not for any good reasons. Her grandfather ignores her, as do the locals, except for Julia, a local baker and restaurant owner, and Win, whose family does not want him around Emily at all. Emily and Win are a bit star-crossed lovers, and Allen goes back to her magical roots, but it is nothing too over the top. When I was reading that Win's family can't go out at night, I kept thinking, "Please not vampires" until I realized that would be backwards. My favorite part was Julia and her relationship with Sawyer.
No comments:
Post a Comment