Monday, June 22, 2009

78/100

The Tea Rose

by Jennifer Donnelly
The Tea Rose
book data
819 ratings, 4.17 average rating, 248 reviews (more data...)
edit

published
May 2nd 2006 (first published 2002) by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

my review

rating: didn't like itit was okliked itreally liked it (my current rating)it was amazing
bookshelves: read (edit)
status: Read in June, 2009
review: I read the first couple pages of this book and the thickness of it and the small print, among other things, made me really doubt my choice to read it. I even went back on Goodreads to check the rating to see if it was worth finishing.

Fiona Finnegan is a young girl from Whitechapel, a poor area of London. She works at a tea shop and is quite an expert at identifying tea. She contributes her wages to her family (mom, dad, brother, Charlie, brother Seamus, sister, Ellen) but saves a little to share with her best friend, and love of her life, Joe. Their dream is to open a shop together within the year, and finally start their lives together.

I wasn't really into the story until a number of tragedies enter Fiona's life. Eventually, I couldn't put the book down. My only complaint was I felt that if something could go wrong, it DID. I felt like the book could've had at least 100 fewer pages if only something went right for a change. But overall I loved the book and am so glad I stuck with it.

No comments: