My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I devoured this book. I sat down to read it before bed one night and wound up reading 150 pages in the first sitting. I just looked at some of the other reviews, and I am disgusted at the people who think that Lia's character is looking for attention and treats her parents ("who do everything to help her"? really?!) poorly. I also disagree with those who think this is playing too much off of stereotypes. I think it gives an accurate portrayal of a girl who doesn't remember a life where food was something normal and necessary. I like how Lia shows moments of weakness by wanting to eat, and I think it is realistic for Lia to prove her strength by getting thinner and tricking others into thinking she is ok.
Two parts of this book bothered me. I am sad for Lia's sister and how she had to find her. But really, I think it makes it all more real, saying that even though that was the one person in Lia's life she cared about unconditionally, she still couldn't worry too much about the repercussions of her actions.
The other part that really bothered me was Elijah stealing her money in the end. I mean, hasn't the girl suffered enough?
This is not an easy book to read. But I think it gives a good perspective on anorexia and disordered eating in general. And I am grateful for the ending.
View all my reviews >>
No comments:
Post a Comment