Monday, February 8, 2010

138/200

The Poisonwood Bible The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is the story of a family of missionaries that move to the Congo to try to preach Christianity. The trip is spearheaded by the Reverend, and the book is told through the eyes of his four daughters and wife. The family arrives in the Congo with items like cake mix packed into their clothes. They at least have some sense of how they will make a couple of sacrifices and then change the lives of these people for the better. The women quickly begin to realize that the sacrifices they are making are not small at all. And the people of the Congo don't necessarily want to convert to Christianity and the ways of the white man. The father in this book absolutely disgusts me. I think I would have liked the book better if it was a little shorter. I was a little dispointed in the end, but I think disappointment is to be expected in this book because of the grave injustices portrayed.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: