Monday, January 17, 2011

241/300

Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia (P.S.)Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia by Marya Hornbacher

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have been reading the reviews before I wrote my own and I have to agree with those that say they have a love/hate relationship with this book. While sometimes you get angry at Hornbacher for bragging about her unhealthy ways and giving tips to those that shouldn't be finding new ways to beat the system, you can also appreciate the raw look into the mind of someone with an advanced eating disorder. I read Madness before I read this, and I think this book is a little misleading since many of the manic points described could be attributed to her bipolar disorder, and not necessarily her eating disorders.

Her parents really disgusted me throughout the book, and I thought it was interesting how she defended them. I can't imagine what it must've been like to deal with a child intent on killing herself, but from the day she was born, they seemed like people who had no business raising a child. Despite getting angry at points, I would recommend this book as an insider's guide for those that don't understand why anoretics don't "just eat" and for those that will never grasp the concept of never feeling thin enough.



View all my reviews

No comments: