My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Maybe it was a mistake to read this instead of Shadows of the Wind. But someone recommended both to me, and I chose to go with this one. From the beginning, I felt like a fool and I didn't want to tell the recommender it bored me because I felt dumb. Like I should be enjoying the lengthy descriptions and references to God. But I just didn't. In fact, I found the first 300 pages or so dreadfully boring. After that, I did become interested in how the story picked up and I wanted to find out what happened. The problem with that is that even though I finished the book a few hours ago, I'm still not really sure. Maybe it is because I was spacing out during some of the boring parts, or maybe I just don't have a mind for this depth. But overall, I am left unfullfilled.
I found Martin to be semi-likeable, despite the picture of him being portrayed as someone everyone is out to get. I really like Isabella and Senior Sempere but everyone else I could do without. There was so much death in this book, and it seemed like after each one, Martin simply picked up his coat and went on his way. I don't think I will be attempting any more Zafon.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment