Sunday, July 13, 2008

1,000 White Women by Jim Fergus

I had been hearing about this book for ages, although don't ask me from where. It kept going back to the library when I didn't pick it up. I was afraid it was too intellectual or something. But when I went to the library one day it was waiting for me, even though I didn't know it was going to be there. The book is a collection of fictional journal entries from May Dodd, a woman from the 1800's who was committed to an insane asylum for being too promiscuous. At first I thought it may be a true story and I actually had to go back and reread the beginning to learn that it was all fictional. It was more entertaining than I thought it would be, but still a slow read. An Indian Chief asks the US to provide 1,000 white women to marry their tribesmen and produce partially white children (this part claims to be true). Being a bunch of great guys, the US decides to accept but only send insane women (not true, but certainly believable). The women go, bear children, and then die at the hands of the very US that sent them. Rings a bit true, don't you think? Overall, it was a good book, and I would give it 3 stars.

No comments: