Monday, July 28, 2008

Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch (3/100)

I am not the type of person to cry and at a book or movie. I don't really have a book or something that has "changed my life." But I can honestly say that now I think I have. The subtitle for this book says, "A recovery book for the chronic dieter. Rediscover the pleasures of eating and rebuild your body image." If I had to sum up the concepts behind the book, I would simply say, "Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are full." This may seem like common sense to most people. But as a person who has been dieting for half of her 26 years on this planet, it truly means a lot.

I saw this book recommended on the Health and Fitness board and figured what do I have to lose? I have been counting points for 3 years now (hard to believe isn't it?) I have had food struggles for as long as I can remember and more often than not, I put my weight far before my health. Now I am going to do my best to be a healthy person, not a thin person because my quest for thinness is also making me a miserable person.

While reading this book, I literally gasped out loud several times because what it was saying literally spoke to me. My first thoughts upon waking up are now things like, "I can have milk in my cereal! I can enjoy my coffee! I don't HAVE to order egg whites for every breakfast!" I am almost ashamed at how much I have let food rule my life.

The Epilogue says, "This may be the end of the book, but if you choose to become an Intuitive Eater, it becomes a new beginning." I hope that this is true for me. I am going to try and listen to my hunger for a month and see where that takes me. In the meantime, I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever thought twice about how much they weigh and what they eat. 5 stars

No comments: