I decided to read this book because it was on a list of "New Classics" and also on the list of "1,001 Books you Must Read Before You Die" and because it was recommended from the nest. When I started reading it, I decided I hated it. It was very "smart." It is about a guy who leaves California because he hates his parents and chooses to go to college in Vermont simply because he liked the picture in the brochure. I can respect that.
When he gets to Vermont, he wants to take Greek because it was what he had studied in California. However, the Greek professor is very choosy and only has a group of 5 students. Well this man Richard, finally persuades him to let him join the bunch. I say that the book is "smart" because it is full of Plato and Aristotle and gin and bourbon, and suit jackets and expensive dinners. But by the time I was halfway through it had sucked me in.
4 of the original 5 had murdered someone (although I was a little confused by the details) and they were worried that the 5th would turn them in. Eventually, they killed him too, with the help of Richard. Subsequently, everything falls apart. The story was haunting and deep. I liked it but did not love love it. I would say 3 and a half stars.
Bethenny Frankel is still at the beach
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment