Saturday, September 13, 2008

21/100

Geek Love: A Novel Geek Love: A Novel by Katherine Dunn


My review


rating: 1 of 5 stars
Let me start by saying I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked this book up. I was under the impression that geek was synonymous with nerd. I thought it would be some light, entertaining reading after some books I didn't particularly like. Boy, was I wrong. I was quite surprised when the first page started talking about biting chickens heads off.



The book is more or less about a circus family who look down upon "norms." The weirder you are, the higher your stature. The mother takes various drugs to try and make the most screwed up children she can. Now I know some people could be disturbed by this. I was okay with the concept, but a boy with flippers, conjoined twins and a hunchback just weren't that entertaining to me. I could not get into the book AT ALL. I know people who love it draw parallels to the world and how normalcy is overrated but I just thought it was annoying drivel. I skimmed through a lot of it just to finish the book.


View all my reviews.

No comments: