My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I had a hard time starting this book, simply because I had just gotten through with a book that took place in England and I wasn't sure I was ready for another one. But once I got into this book, I really started to like it. I especially enjoyed how each chapter was named after a particular character. The story really centers around Penelope, a woman in her 60's who recently had a heart attack. Two of her children start badgering her to sell her famous father's painting, The Shell Seekers, so they can financially benefit.
I found Penelope's children, Nancy and Noel completely appalling, disgusting people. They were utterly conceited and self-righteous and only out for money. Penelope's other daughter, Olivia, is marginally better since you can tell she really cares about her mother, but she is still repulsively selfish.
The characters you really care about are Penelope's young friend, Antonia, and her gardener, Danus. They seem like good, genuine people who deserve some happiness.
I don't want to spoil anything, but even though I thought the book was a little long, I thought it really wrapped up nicely. I would recommend it to anyone.
View all my reviews >>
No comments:
Post a Comment