My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I want to start by saying that I really liked Nick and Maren's ratings, and I am sure that their reviews are far more detailed than mine will be.
With that being said...I went to the library looking for an audio book, and this is the only one that stuck out as a book that I recognized. In retrospect, I am really glad I wound up listening to this rather than reading it, because I am sure that they lack of punctuation that people keep referencing would have driven me nuts. Anyway, I liked the story at first. I was confused a lot though. I had to look up a synopsis at one point because I thought that maybe I missed the part where they said what caused the apocalypse. But no, the author just never goes into it. I found that aspect of the book very frustrating. What happened? Where are they going? Why are they going there? What's the point of moving forward? Why would they even want to keep going when around every turn, something horrifying is seen.
I couldn't wait to reach the end to see what would happen. The book is full of horrific events (rotting live bodies being harvested as food, an infant being roasted on a spit) so I figured the ending would be pay dirt. Not so. Instead of going out with a bang, it ended with a slow hiss that was over before you knew it. I had to replay the last track because I thought I had missed something. I just realized that it reminded me of The Blair Witch Project where all along you are just waiting for something to happen and then all of a sudden it's over and you find yourself saying, "Wait, that's it?!"
View all my reviews >>
No comments:
Post a Comment